Don’t let Leftist social media shut us out! Sign up for Daily Surge’s daily email blast… it’ll keep you updated on each day’s Daily Surge new columns. Go to dailysurge.com and sign up under “Free Newsletter” on the right side of the page, one-third of the way down. It’s easy! And like it says, it’s free!
Surge Summary: New regulations proposed by the Biden Administration are, functionally, anti-hunting, anti-fishing … despite the many demonstrable benefits produced for society by these activities. Hostility to hunting and fishing is significantly based on ignorance to the available facts.
The Biden Administration has declared war on fossil fuels (including gasoline-powered vehicles), gas stoves, and air conditioning as part of its green agenda. Now the Biden Administration is coming up with regulations that would limit the type of equipment sportsmen can use on federal refuge properties, including a ban on lead ammunition and fishing tackle in some areas. Hunting is the bigger target of such measures, given the Biden Administration trying to shove its green agenda down everyone’s throats, not to mention its anti-gun stance. After all, hunting is despised by the left.
But what most people fail to understand is that hunters actually respect wildlife. They are also responsible for a series of hunting laws and regulations to ensure the preservation of wildlife and various habitats. Thus, hunters have done a lot more for the environment than any environmentalist ever has.
In his book, The Politically Incorrect Guide to Hunting, author Frank Miniter puts an emphasis on the previously mentioned facts. By doing so, he dispels myths some people have about hunting. He also points out that poachers are nothing more than game thieves, and are despised by hunters. In addition, Miniter discusses how hunters have saved many species from the brink of extinction. He even discusses the importance of the Second Amendment.
Other matters Miniter discusses consist of the following:
- Hunters have funded state conservation programs via paying special surtaxes on guns, ammunition, and other gear.
- Hunters protect crops from being eaten by deer, rabbits, and other animals. Otherwise, there would be nothing to harvest. Vegetarians (especially those people who become vegetarians because they dislike the killing of animals) should be aware of this fact.
- Hunters are stationed near airports to shoot birds that might get sucked into the engines of planes, thus preventing horrific tragedies.
- Hunting reduces animal-human conflicts- e.g. people being attacked by cougars, bears, coyotes, etc. Once such animals learn that people will hunt them, they will behave themselves. Hence, it is a matter of self-defense.
- Non-lethal alternatives to hunting have turned out to be inefficient and quite expensive.
- Hunting is safer than other sports (e.g. football, basketball) due to the emphasis on firearm safety.
- Hunters know more about the environment than one could imagine, and probably know more about some species and habitats than biologists do.
Miniter discusses many species, and even devotes chapters to several animals native to North America: alligators, bears, cougars, coyotes, wolves, and deer.
The basic truth is this: hunting puts food on the table, it helps control various animal populations, and it is a popular activity. The same argument can be made for fishing (which too is under fire by some people).
If only the Biden Administration would take heed of these facts.