SAN DIEGO CA MAY 18, 2026 -- San Diego Police officials consult outside of the Islamic Center of San Diego on Monday, May 18, 2026. Five people were killed, including an armed security guard, after two shooters entered Islamic Center in San Diego and opened fire. The shooting occurred while a K through 12 school, which operates at the center and mosque, was in session. No children were injured in the incident. (Sandy Huffaker / For The Times)

‘Heroic’ Security Guard Killed Protecting Children and Staff in San Diego Mosque Shooting

SAN DIEGO — A security guard was fatally shot Monday while shielding children and staff inside the Islamic Center of San Diego during a mass shooting that left three people dead.

Amin Abdullah, the mosque’s security guard, stood his ground when the gunmen entered the building around 11:45 a.m. He positioned himself between the attackers and more than a dozen children and school staff members, preventing what could have been far greater loss of life.

“He didn’t run. He stood his ground,” said a fundraiser launched by the San Diego chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR). “In plain words: Amin put himself between the gunmen and everyone inside.”

More than $1.4 million has been raised to support Abdullah’s family. Those who knew him described him as the welcoming face of the mosque who greeted visitors with a smile and became the last line of defense when it mattered most.

The other victims were identified as Mansour Kaziha, a longtime community leader who managed the mosque’s store for nearly 40 years, and Nader Awad, who helped turn people away from the gunfire and saved lives.

Kaziha, affectionately known as “Abu el Ezz,” was remembered as a warm and welcoming man who guided newcomers to Islam and treated many like family. He is survived by five sons and 14 grandchildren.

Muslim leaders said all teachers, students, and staff inside the mosque and adjacent school were safely escorted out by police. “These three protected children inside the center and school and there is no doubt that the casualties would have been much worse without their heroism,” a joint statement from the Islamic Center, CAIR, and other Muslim organizations said.

Suspects and Investigation

Authorities identified the suspects as 17-year-old Cain Clark and 18-year-old Caleb Vazquez. Their bodies were found near the mosque. Police believe both died from self-inflicted gunshot wounds.

Investigators found possible anti-Islamic writings in the suspects’ car and are treating the attack as a hate crime. San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl said “hate rhetoric” was discovered as part of the investigation. The mother of one suspect had earlier reported her son and several guns missing, raising alarms about his well-being shortly before the shooting.

Community and Political Reactions

The shooting has shaken Muslim communities across Southern California and the nation. San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria called the attack a “violent act of hate” and urged the city to stand together against Islamophobia.

CAIR leaders linked the violence to what they described as a broader “campaign of hate,” pointing to negative comments made by some national politicians about Muslims. Hussam Ayloush, CEO of CAIR’s California chapter, said the group was “deeply disturbed, but not at all surprised,” citing recent anti-Muslim statements by lawmakers.

Imam Taha Hassane of the Islamic Center described the event as unprecedented but part of a larger pattern of religious intolerance. He called on everyone to promote a culture of tolerance and love.

A press conference to honor the victims is scheduled for 5 p.m. ET Tuesday.

The Islamic Center of San Diego is the largest mosque in the county. All students and staff from the school inside the center were confirmed safe following the incident.